Monday, December 20, 2010

A life taken too soon...

On Thursday, Dec. 16th, Butch Bays was murdered by someone who entered his small place of business in our rural community. As of today, only one suspect has been arrested and the car seen at the store shortly before the murder has been located.

Although a few years older than me, I have known Butch all of my life. His youngest brother, Jack, and I started school together at Summerfield and graduated together in 1962. We attended LA Tech together for 2 years before I married and transfered to another college.

Since we moved back here in 1983, we have seen Butch often when we went to his store, attended community functions and at many other times. He was a generous person quietly helping many when they needed it. He provided summer jobs for many of the teenage boys over the years. After the tornado in 1999 left us without the equipment to keep our hay meadows cut, Butch brought his equipment to our fields to do this for us. He always gave generously to the school athletic programs and school auctions.

He will be missed by so many and our community will never be the same after this senseless, selfish act that netted the murderers only a meager amount of money.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heavens. I am so sorry. I was just coming by to say thank you for stopping by my ladybug post! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss! I wanted to reply to your comment on my blog. The machine on the tray table is actually a Cricut Expression. You can find it and many other wonderful products at www.cricut.com

    ReplyDelete